The Maryland Ornithological Society (MOS) fosters interaction and exchange of information among people interested in wild birds to encourage the study and enjoyment of birds and the natural world.
MOS does this by:
1. Publishing and distributing information about the society, its interests, activities, and projects;
2. Sponsoring field trips and other excursions to observe birds in their natural habitats;
3. Encouraging the study, recording, and observation of bird life in Maryland;
4. Providing educational opportunities in bird and nature study, and supporting research on the birds and bird habitats of Maryland;
5. Encouraging the protection and conservation of bird life and natural resources that support bird life;
6. Acquiring real and personal property to promote sanctuaries for birdlife in the various Maryland habitats, and to maintain such properties for the benefit of birds and other wildlife;
7. Encouraging the formation of local chapters to carry out some or all of the above activities in their local areas;
8. Effectively conducting the business of the society;
9. Ensuring adequate funds and resources to meet the needs and responsibilities of the society; and
10. Working in cooperation with other organizations, as appropriate, to carry out some or all of the above activities.
— Approved by the MOS Board of Directors, 5 December 1998