Convention Pin Contest
For each convention, a pin is selected and given to each participant. Convention pins illustrate the convention year and a bird species appropriate to the convention site. Pin designs are selected by competition and are highly treasured convention souvenirs. Many convention attendees proudly display their colorful collection of pins going back many years.
Pin Contest Rules for 2021 Virtual Convention
RULES FOR THE 2021 MOS CONVENTION PIN DESIGN CONTEST
(Click here to download the rules)
- Entrants must be members of MOS. To join MOS, please go to https://mdbirds.org/join/how-to-join/
- Due to the pandemic, the convention will not be held in-person. Therefore, the usual rule that said the bird must be consistent for the time and location is suspended for this year. However, the virtual convention will have a theme, Breeding Birds of Maryland. The bird must be from the list of Maryland breeding birds found in all counties. Click here to view or download the list.
- Designs shall include a bird and the phrase “vMOS” and the year of the convention in four-digit format (i.e, 2021). No other wording can appear on the front of the entry (species, entrant’s name, etc.). Please be sure to include the “v” next to “MOS” as we are differentiating this pin from other pins since this convention will be virtual.
- Submission shall be rendered in color as finished artwork and not framed or matted. Submission shall be submitted in “hard copy” (i.e., not submitted electronically)
- The entrant’s name, address, chapter affiliation, phone number and email address and the species of bird shall be written on the back of each entry.
- Entrants may not use others’ work or material copyrighted by others.
- An Entrant may submit more than one design.
- All entries will be returned to the entrants. By entering the contest entrants agree that if their design wins it becomes the property of MOS, which has the right to use the design to promote the conference and for other MOS promotional and historical uses.
- The winner will receive several of the finished pins for a personal portfolio.
- The winner will not announce or mention the results of the contest until he/she is officially announced in The Maryland Yellowthroat or at the convention.
The contest coordinator works closely with the pin company to ensure that the final pin is an accurate representation of the winning entry and of the species depicted. Decisions regarding the company’s draft design are made by the pin contest lead. On rare occasions the company may want us to ask the winning entrant for permission to make minor changes in the design, in order to accommodate the manufacturing process. If the entrant is unwilling to make these minor accommodations, we will select another design.
The deadline for entries will be announced in The Maryland Yellowthroat, and for the 2021 Virtual Conference is March 15, 2021.
The pin contest lead is not one of the judges. The names of the judges are not revealed publicly, and a judge does not know the identities of the other judges.
Send entries to: Meg Harris, 6400 Ripe Apple Lane, Columbia, MD 21044
If you have questions, please contact Meg Harris at email@example.com.
Birds that breed in all MD counties
Bird Species that Breed in All Maryland Counties
Click here to download this table.
|Acadian Flycatcher||Chimney Swift||Horned Lark||Red-eyed Vireo|
|American Black Duck||Chipping Sparrow||House Finch||Red-headed Woodpecker|
|American Crow||Common Grackle||House Sparrow||Red-shouldered Hawk|
|American Goldfinch||Common Yellowthroat||House Wren||Red-tailed Hawk|
|American Kestrel||Cooper’s Hawk||Indigo Bunting||Red-winged Blackbird|
|American Robin||Downy Woodpecker||Kentucky Warbler||Rock Pigeon|
|American Woodcock||Eastern Bluebird||Killdeer||Ruby-throated Hummingbird|
|Bald Eagle||Eastern Kingbird||Louisiana Waterthrush||Scarlet Tanager|
|Baltimore Oriole||Eastern Meadowlark||Mallard||Song Sparrow|
|Barn Owl||Eastern Phoebe||Mourning Dove||Tree Swallow|
|Barn Swallow||Eastern Screech-Owl||Northern Bobwhite||Tufted Titmouse|
|Barred Owl||Eastern Towhee||Northern Cardinal||Turkey Vulture|
|Belted Kingfisher||Eastern Whip-poor-will||Northern Flicker||Warbling Vireo|
|Black Vulture||Eastern Wood-Pewee||Northern Mockingbird||White-breasted Nuthatch|
|Black-and-white Warbler||European Starling||Northern Parula||White-eyed Vireo|
|Blue Grosbeak||Field Sparrow||Northern Rough-winged Swallow||Wild Turkey|
|Blue Jay||Fish Crow||Orchard Oriole||Wood Duck|
|Blue-gray Gnatcatcher||Grasshopper Sparrow||Ovenbird||Wood Thrush|
|Broad-winged Hawk||Gray Catbird||Pileated Woodpecker||Worm-eating Warbler|
|Brown Thrasher||Great Blue Heron||Pine Warbler||Yellow Warbler|
|Brown-headed Cowbird||Great Crested Flycatcher||Prairie Warbler||Yellow-billed Cuckoo|
|Canada Goose||Great Horned Owl||Prothonotary Warbler||Yellow-breasted Chat|
|Carolina Wren||Green Heron||Purple Martin||Yellow-throated Vireo|
|Cedar Waxwing||Hairy Woodpecker||Red-bellied Woodpecker||Yellow-throated Warbler|
MOS Annual Convention Pins 1987 to Date
Donald G. Jewell