MOS has taken the positions on three key issues that it believes are largely consistent with its membership views and our mission. While MOS respects the diversity of thought within the membership, over time we have had to address several pressing issues and formed committees to research and propose MOS position papers. The Board has taken these issues seriously, debating and refining position papers during multiple meetings and off-line discussion.
- On August 29, 2015, MOS adopted a Policy Statement on Free-Roaming Domestic Cats and the Management of Feral Cats.
- On March 1, 2014, MOS adopted a Position Paper on the Impacts of Hydraulic Fracturing to Birds and Bird Habitat.
- On June 17, 2011, MOS adopted an Alternative Energy Policy Statement.
There are other issues about which MOS is highly concerned but hasn’t yet established a position. Several current key issues include:
- Wind energy: placement and impacts on migrating birds; tradeoff negative effects of wind relative to impacts of coal and other power generation methods.
- Plastic: growing concern about the amount of plastic in the environment and deleterious impact on birds and other wildlife.