Patuxent Bird Club
A Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society serving Prince George’s County since 1960.
The Patuxent Bird Club is for people interested in the birds of Prince George’s County, Maryland, and beyond. Activities include field trips, bird walks, meetings with presentations, seasonal bird counts and censuses, and more. All activities are open to the public at no charge. The Patuxent Bird Club partners with the Prince George’s Audubon Society in sponsoring field trips and meetings.
The club hosts monthly meetings with a featured speaker or film and offers a year-long schedule of field trips and bird walks led by club members and other local birders. All meetings, field trips, bird walks, and bird counts are open to the public at no charge.
- President: Marcia Watson
- Vice-President: Fred Fallon
- Treasurer: Jane Fallon
- Secretary: Vacant
- Ken Cohen
- Ikumi Kayama
- Matt Felperin
- Dave Mozurkewich
- Kevin Bennett
Representatives to MOS Board of Directors:
- Marcia Watson (ex officio as president)
- Ross Geredien
Coordinators & Compilers
- Newsletter Editor: Marcia Watson
- Webmaster: Marcia Watson
- County Coordinators for the Maryland-DC Breeding Bird Atlas: Ross Geredien and Dave Mozurkewich
- Fall and Spring Counts: Matt Felperin
- Bowie Christmas Bird Count: Dave Mozurkewich
- Jug Bay Christmas Bird Count: Marcia Watson
Club activities are here.
The Patuxent Bird Club welcomes all who are interested in our local birdlife. The membership year runs from September to August, and membership dues are payable annually by September 30 for renewing members. New members may join at any time in the year; if on or after Mar 1, the dues for the remainder of that year are ½ of the annual dues.
Chapter and State Combined Membership
Household – $33
Individual – $26
Junior (under age 18) – $6
Chapter Membership Only (Affiliated; must be a full-paying member of another MOS chapter)
Household – $8
Individual – $6
Junior (under age 18) – $1
To join online please select your membership level below. You may also download the membership form, print it, then mail the completed form to the address on the form.
*** Renewing members please login first to pay your dues. ***
*** New members joining online after March 1 will be extended to August of next year after processing. ***
News from the ‘Hood newsletter.
Birding in Prince George’s County
Part of the greater Washington, D.C., metropolitan area, Prince George’s County is fortunate in having a large variety of parks and other public lands that offer an excellent variety of habitat and a corresponding excellent selection of birds.
County Locations for Birding
The sites presented below are some of the top birding sites in the county, in terms of total species reported.
Sites on the Patuxent River (eastern border of the county), in order from north to south:
- Patuxent River Park
- Merkle Wildlife Sanctuary
- Milltown Landing Natural Resource Management Area
Sites on the Anacostia River or Potomac River (western border of the county), in order from north to south:
- Bladensburg Waterfront Park
- Oxon Hill Farm Park/Oxon Cove Park
- Fort Foote Park
- Fort Washington Park
- Piscataway Park, including Boardwalk, National Colonial Farm and Wharf Rd (Farmington Landing)
- In the interior of the county:
- Patuxent Research Refuge – South Tract and National Wildlife Visitors Center
- Greenbelt National Park
- Lake Artemesia Natural Area
- Buddy Attick Lake Park (Greenbelt Lake)
- Schoolhouse Pond