Howard County Bird Club
The Howard County Bird Club, organized in 1972, is one of 15 Maryland Ornithological Society chapters. It is dedicated to the enjoyment, appreciation, protection, and conservation of birds and other natural resources. The club holds monthly meetings from September through May, sponsors three seasonal bird counts as well as dozens of field trips, and provides references and support for birders OF ALL LEVELS.
Programs and Field Trips
For details, see Coming Event Details in the HCBC website and the MOS calendar.
- HCBC field trips are an excellent way to improve birding skills whatever your experience level. Trips provide opportunities to explore new sites and meet other birders.
- Seasonal counts are held the first Saturday of February, the second Saturday of May, and the third Saturday of September. All birders are welcome; beginners can ask to accompany skilled individuals.
- The Chandler S. Robbins SkyWatch at Mount Pleasant is a birding and meeting place. On weekends, especially during migration, folks who drop by are likely to find experienced birders scanning the sky for raptors and other migrants.
Birding in Howard County
- Field Checklist of the Birds of Howard County
- Site Guides to more than 50 county sites complete with maps, descriptions, and bird lists.
- Howard County Annotated Bird Records. A detailed summary by species including habitat, expected time period, early and late dates, high counts, and bar graphs.
- The Birding Year in Howard County. A summary by month of expected species, along with search tips.
- Seasonal Bird List. Compilations of all species observed in the county in a given year.
- Howard County Breeding Bird Atlas A page is devoted to each breeding species with an accompanying map summarizing the results for each of the three atlases.
This group makes presentations to interested groups on the identification of and information about butterflies, including tips to make gardens more butterfly friendly. Butterfly field trips are also offered.
- Members have a wide range of nature-related interests. Photos and species lists are available for the following: Birds, Butterflies, Dragonflies, Herps (reptiles and amphibians), Lichens, Mosses, and Fungi.
- Links on Howard web page
HCBC Conservation Efforts
- Through its Habitat Preservation Fund, the HCBC has, for more than 40 years, used proceeds from its annual seed sale and individual donations, to preserve and maintain bird habitats locally, regionally, and in Latin America.
- Members support county bioblitzes.
- HCBC frequently co-sponsors events with the Howard County Department of Recreation and Parks. For 12 years, the two groups sponsored an annual county dragonfly count. During the five-year Maryland Herp Atlas, HCBC members assisted in collecting data, and county maps were posted to the club’s website. The Butterfly Group and several pollinator meadows are cooperative arrangements between the two groups.
- HCBC also assists the Howard County Conservancy with projects that provide additional habitat such as the Chimney Swift Tower and planned Pollinator Meadow.